Updated by Christopher Lander
Halo hair extensions should last a while, depending on how you maintain/treat them. It will also depend on how often you are wearing your new extensions as well. If they are worn every day, they won’t last as long as a pair that is only worn once a week! With the proper care and maintenance routine, halo extensions used daily can last up to six months or longer. We recommend getting a new set every 6 - 9 months but this depends on how often you use them and how you care and treat the extensions.
The best way to keep your halo extensions in shape is to care for them just like your natural strands. But, make sure that for our synthetic extensions, you invest in gentle formulas or products labeled specifically for synthetic hair extensions or wigs. With these formulas, you should be able to wash them like normal without damaging them!
Like the hair that sits on your head, halo extensions can be prone to knots. So do your best to keep them tangle-free. When you brush your hair extensions, make sure that you are using a detangling brush, like a wet brush to keep them fresh and not matted. If your extensions are very messy, gently detangle your hair extensions with The Untangled® Pin Tail Comb prior to using the detangling brush.
Tips for making your extensions last longer
- If you are wearing your Synthetic Hair Extensions everyday, we recommend washing it every three weeks with a very gentle shampoo and conditioner. See this article for washing instructions: Can you wash Halo hair extensions?
- Do not use a hairdryer to dry the extensions after washing them. Always let the hair air-dry. Place the hair between a folded towel. Pat dry and be gentle on your Untangled® Extensions. Hang your Untangled® Extensions in an area where they can air dry naturally.
- Always remove the extensions when sleeping.
- Do not shower or swim with your extensions.
- Only use low heat styling tools. We recommend to only use a low heat setting of 120C/250F, as anything higher runs the risk of damaging the hair.We also recommend opting for a lower heat setting as it will prolong the lifespan of your set. While our own hair may be able to handle a high heat setting, our hair is also constantly getting revitalized from the scalp, whereas hair extensions don't get that sort of constant nutrition. We suggest to always use a heat protectant spray prior to styling your set.
- Store your hair extensions in the original box they came in to ensure their smooth texture and overall shine.